BYU Student Rep.
UpCOMING CHAPTER EVENTS
OTHER EVENTS AND RECITALS
September 5-6 (Friday-Saturday) - The Salt Lake Chapter is having a Super Saturday event on Sept. 5-6. See the attached flyer with information or their website: http://slcago.org/main01/2014/08/super-saturday/.
September 5 (Friday) - Gabriel Dessauer (cantor and organist at St. Bonifatius in Wiesbaden, Germany; organ faculty at the Musikhochschule Rheinland-Pfalz), Recital, Tabernacle, Temple Square, 7:30 pm
AGO National Convention
Boston, June 23-27, 2014
The National Convention offers:
· Fifty concerts by thirty-seven performers, featuring internationally acclaimed musicians, Boston’s rich choral heritage, many new instruments, and our famous landmark organs.
· Eight finely crafted worship services in a wide variety of styles, featuring music from Renaissance polyphony to Duke Ellington;
· Ninety workshops and master classes on a vast array of topics;
· Fifty-two scholarly research papers;
· Fourteen commissioned works;
· Ten reading sessions of choral and organ music;
· More than one hundred exhibitors;
· Two national competitions and opportunities to hear previous competition winners;
· An opportunity to explore one of this nation’s greatest cities.
To register, click here.
AGO Pipe Organ Encounters
The traditional Pipe Organ Encounter:
· Is a 4-5 day event organized by a local AGO chapter under the sponsorship of the national organization. It introduces participants to the world of the pipe organ.
· Is a national program sponsored by the American Guild of Organists. Students are admitted to POEs on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of attendance at prior POEs, and regardless of state or country of residence, as long as they meet the following eligibility guidelines: Students should be aged 13-18, be interested in the pipe organ, and have piano or organ proficiency ranging from early intermediate to advanced.
· Provides an opportunity for students to have individual and group instruction in the basic rudiments of pipe organ technique and service playing.
· Provides a general overview of organ literature, history, pipe organ construction and design, improvisation and other related topics.
· Provides an opportunity for participation in ecumenical worship, so as to experience the role of the sacred musician.
· Most of all, provides a unique opportunity for participants to meet and interact with peers who have similar interests.
For information about the POE at Colorado State University on June 8-13, 2014, click here.
ORGAN - SET 2
Clay Christiansen again lends his expert touch to settings of Bach's Air on the G String, and Handel's Prelude to Suite in D.
2014 SUPER SATURDAY HANDOUTS
Bonnie Goodliffe, keynote address speaker
Dear Chapter Members and Friends,
I am pleased to announce that our good friend and mentor, Don Cook, has won the AGO National Election and will serve as the new Councillor for Education, effective July 1, 2014. He will do a magnificent job! I am absolutely thrilled! Don brings a lot of educational experience to this position and will represent the AGO well.
Please join me in congratulating him!
and a link to the latest newsletter
Contact DeeAnn Stone if you’d like your name added to the list.
(See recent photos from the April 26, 2014 Super Saturday)
by James Welch
Be sure to check back often for updates
Website last updated August 25, 2014
Contact DeeAnn Stone, website editor at email@example.com, if you have something you would like to have included on the website, i.e. recitals, lectures, musical items for sale, helpful hints, quotes, links to other music-related websites, etc.